As per the legend, the creation of chocolate chip cookies was a complete accident. One day while making cookies, Ruth Graves Wakefield ( inventor of the Toll House brand of chocolate chip cookies) realized she was out of an ingredient for the recipe she was using. She had run out of baker’s chocolate, so she substituted it with a semisweet chocolate bar from Nestle. However, unlike the baker’s chocolate, the chopped up chocolate bar did not melt and mix into the batter like Ruth thought it would. The small pieces of chocolate only softened and the chocolate chip cookie was born.
What a yummy accident! 🙂
All purpose flour (Maida) – 1 and half cups
Unsalted butter – 100 gms (melted)
Caster sugar – 1/2 cup
Dark brown sugar– 1/2 cup
Egg – 1
Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon (tsp)
Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – a pinch
Chocolate chips – 1 cup
Cornflakes (crushed)- 1 cup
Rolled oats -1 cup
- Combine maida, baking soda and salt well. Keep aside.
- Preheat oven at 150 degrees for 10 mins.
- Line the tray with parchment paper.
- Add both the sugars to the butter. Whisk it until the mixture is thick.
- Add in the egg and vanilla essence. Whisk it again for about a minute.
- Add in the dry ingredients.
- Form a dough using hands and then add the chocolate chips,cornflakes and rolled oats.
- Make equal sized balls and gently press the top while placing on the baking tray
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove and cool on the wire rack
Happy baking! 🙂