Dhokla reminds me of the days of college. On my way back home was this snack shop who made excellent dhoklas. And I always ended up packing few to take back for family evening snack time. Dhoklas can be made very easily and are tasty too. Next time you are looking for ideas for snacks for your family…try this out!
Gram flour (Besan) – 350gms
Green Chilies – 1 tsp (paste)
Ginger – 1 tsp (paste)
Salt to taste
Soda bicarbonate – 1 tsp
Lemon – 1 no
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Curd (Yogurt) – 1 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Water – 1 cup (approx)
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds (sarson) – 1tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 4 Tbsp (chopped)
Green chilies – 2-3 nos. (slit vertically)
- Combine gram flour,Curd and water. Add water in batches so that you get the right consistency for the batter.
- Mix well. The batter should be smooth and of thick consistency.
- Add salt and set aside for 4 hours covered with a lid.
- Now add ginger and green chili paste to the batter.
- Also add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Keep the steamer or cooker ready on gas stove.
- Grease a baking dish (it should fit in the steamer or cooker).
- Now in small bowl take a tsp. of soda bi-carbonate , 1 tsp oil and lemon juice and mix well.
- Add this to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and steam for 10-12 minutes or till done.
- Cool for sometime and cut into big cubes.
- Heat oil for tempereing in a small pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves allow to splutter. Remove and pour it over dhoklas.
- Garnish the besan dhokla with coriander and slited green chilies.
- Serve as is or with green chutney.
* Eno fruit salt can be used in place of soda bicarbonate
Till next time…. happy cooking ! 🙂