Basamati rice – 1 cup
Egg – 1 No. beaten
Sunflower oil – 2-3 tbsp
Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
Fish / oyster sauce – 2 tsp
Hot red chili – 1 no., seeded and finely chopped
Spring onions (scallions) – 3-4 finely chopped
Parsley or coriander (cilantro) – 1 Tbsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Cook rice in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and rinse again with boiling water and drain again thoroughly. Spread it on a flat tray and leave it to dry
- Heat oil in a wok and add chili, oyster sauce and spring onions and stir fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add the beaten egg and stir fry quickly so the egg scrambles into fluffy pieces
- Fork through the rice to separate the grains and add it to the wok and stir fry for about a minute.
- Sprinkle coriander over the rice.
- Mix soy sauce with sugar and remaining coriander and stir into the rice mixture.
- Toss well.
- Serve Egg Fried rice hot.
I searched for fish sauce in Kochi, didn’t find one in the regular super market. So I made do with oyster sauce. Though the original recipe suggests fish sauce… so you try it with fish sauce, in case you have it and let me know how it was!
Till next time….happy cooking!