Vermicelli Upma is Q’s favorite of all kinds of upma. It really is a magic how the basic ingredients for all upma are almost same yet it tastes so different. And the best part is that you get to lay on table variety everyday. Check it out….you will surely like it.
Roasted Vermicelli – 3 cups
Onion – 1 no big
Coriander – finely chopped
Garlic – 2 flakes (finely chopped) – optional
Ginger – ½ inch (finely chopped)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Gram daal or white lentils – 1 tsp (also called chana daal / Urad daal)
Sugar – 2 pinches
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Roasted or Fried peanuts / Cashew – for garnish (optional)
- Boil vermicelli just like pasta. Drain and keep aside. Take care it does not get overtly cooked. Else it will turn into one sticky mass
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once its stops spluttering add Gram daal
- Now add Ginger and Garlic and sauté lightly
- Add onions and sauté.
- Add chilli powder and coriander and sauté.
- Add boiled vermicelli, salt, peanut or cashew and mix gently.
- Sprinkle sugar and lemon juice and mix lightly.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
You can also use finely chopped green chilli in place of red chilli powder. Q likes to add an additional dash of sugar to his vermicelli upma. That also tastes yumm with the sugar crystals crunching in your mouth along with the tasty salty upma 🙂 Do try it out.
Till next time….happy cooking!