It is always a challenge to feed kids as nutritious as spinach. I was one of them.I don’t know when I developed a liking for it. May be it was the horrible hostel food that did the trick. You suddenly become less fussy and appreciate good things :). I simply love this dish now. And how simple and quick this dry spinach recipe is!
Spinach – 1 bundle (finely chopped)
Onion – 2 big (finely chopped)
Green chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
Desiccated coconut – 2 tbsp
Turmeric – 1 pinch
Chilli powder – 2-3 pinches
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Red chilli – 2 nos
Rice – ½ tsp
Salt to taste
1. Wash and finely chop the spinach. Put it in a colander and leave it for some time for the water to drain completely. It should be almost dry.
2. In a wok heat oil and add mustard seeds and let it splutter
3. Now add red chilli and rice.
4. After 5 seconds add spinach, onion, green chilli, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Spinach already has salt content so be careful while adding salt.
5. Stir and cook in slow heat in open vessel.
6. Keep stirring in between. Don’t add any water
7. Add desiccated coconut.
8. Serve with cooked rice / chapatti (Indian bread), daal.
More than daal I love combining it with rice and fresh curd/ yoghurt. Check it out!
Till tomorrow…. happy cooking and healthy eating!