This used to be my favorite as a kid. My mom used to prepare lemon rice, curd rice, tomato rice and coconut rice during our family picnics and everybody used to gorge on it literally. The taste is bit on the blander side. Please do not put chilli sauce to spice it up :).. it should be rather served and consumed just as it is.
Rice – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
Urad daal (white lentils) – 1 tsp
Red chili – 2 Nos
Green Chili – 2 nos (finely chopped)
Cashew – 4-5 broken in small pieces (optional)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Desiccated coconut – 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Parboil rice. (Shouldn’t be overcooked)
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds
3. Wait for it to splutter
4. Now add Urad dal, red chilli, green chilli (optional),cashew,curry leaves, 1 pinch of asafoetida, mix well.
5. Add desiccated coconut and stir
6. Add to cooked rice and mix lightly
7. Add salt and stir gently
8. Garnish with coriander leaves
Your coconut rice is ready!
Did you like it? Please leave a feedback.
Till tomorrow….happy cooking!