One of my favorites, the aromas of the spices and sweet smell of the coconut milk will want you to have more and more of this absolutely delightful delicacy.
Potatoes – 4 nos medium sized (diced)
Carrots – 2 nos (diced)
Peas – 1 cup
Onions – 1 big (sliced)
Ginger – 1 inch (slit length wise)
Green chilli – 1 no (slit length wise)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coconut milk – 100 ml
Warm water – 2 cups
Cloves – 3 nos
Cardamom – 4 nos
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Black peppercorn – 3 nos
Clarified butter (Ghee) – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Grind to powder (roughly / fine) – Cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper
2. Heat clarified butter in a wok and add the powdered spices
3. As you get nice aroma tip in the sliced onions, chilli, ginger and curry leaves and sauté
4. Add rest of the vegetables and sauté well
5. Add 60 ml of coconut milk and water and stir.
6. Cover the vessel and cook till vegetables get tender
7. Take off from the stove.
8. Add remaining coconut milk and salt.
9. Serve Vegetable stew with bread, puttu, idiaapam or aapam.
You can add chicken/ mutton pieces to make it chicken stew / mutton stew respectively. And if you are not in India and do not have access to curry leaves…tip in some coriander leaves for aroma. Nothing can replace curry leaves though.
Till tomorrow….happy cooking!