After Idli its dosa that a must eat specially when you are visiting South India. With little bit of love and effort you can make it at home too! Given below is a recipe for plain dosa. If you planning to make masala dosa then make bhaaji and use it as filling. We have an outlet in Kochi which serves 57 varieties of dosas. You get my drift? All you need is to get creative and make your fillings – potatoes, beetroot, egg, chicken,mutton….anything! go crazy with your experiment! 🙂
Raw rice – 3 cups
Golden or par boiled rice – 1 cup
Black Gram daal – ¾ cup
Soak all together for atleast 3 hours and grind to a fine paste.
Add salt and leave it overnight to rise.
The final batter will be of medium consistency (neither thick nor watery)
- Take a flat pan
- Ladle out batter in the centre of the pan and swirl it around with the help of the ladle so that it takes a thin pan cake kind of form. Cook on medium flame
- With a flat spatula overturn the dosa and let it cook on the other side on low flame
- Serve hot with chutney and sambhar
Coconut shaving – 1 cup
Tamarind – 1 pinch
Sugar – 1pinch
Ginger – ¼ inch piece
Green chilli – 1 No.
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds – 1-2 tsp
Curry leaves – 2-4 leaves
Red chilli – 1 No.
1. Grind all ingredients for the chutney in a mixer adding bit of water to a fine paste
2. Temper the ingredients in a bit of oil and add to the ground chutney*
Till tomorrow….happy cooking!
*For those who are new to tempering here is what you need to do ….Oil + warm + mustard seeds + let it splutter + add curry leaves + red chilli and add to the chutney!