Our friend Dr.Vinod is a fan of this dal. May be also because he was brought up in the north and now gets to eat Kerala food more often? Reason might be anything, but this dal recipe just rocks. Try it out! 🙂
Toor dal – 1 cup
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Green chilli – 1 (slit length wise)
Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves – for garnish (finely chopped)
1. Pressure cook / boil dal with turmeric and keep aside
2. In a pan take oil and add cumin seeds when warm
3. Add asafoetida, onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chilli and sauté well
4. When onions turn light brown add tomatoes and sauté
5. When oil separates, take pan off gas
6. Add the above to the boiled dal
7. Add salt to taste
8. Garnish with coriander leaves
9. Serve with rice or chapatti (Indian bread)
Another variant could be that you boil ginger-garlic paste, chopped onions, tomatoes and green chilli (slit length wise) along with dal. For tempering, take oil in a pan add Cumin, Fennel, Asafoetida and 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes and add this to the cooked dal. Sprinkle garam masala and garnish with coriander!
Till tomorrow….. happy cooking!…….hey don’t forget to post your feedback. I will be waiting!
click here for South Indian dal recipe..